Join the Residential Landlords Association

Deposits not passed to new owner

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Deposits not passed to new owner
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
SOE Landlord
SOE Landlord
15 Posts
0 Thanks

I recently completed on a property which was sold by receivers with tenants in occupation. I enquired about the status of deposits but the receivers were not forward coming on the matter. None of the deposits passed on to me on completion.

One of the tenants gave notice an enquired about his deposit. This person's tenancy commenced in November 2016 with an initial fixed term of 12 months.

I asked whether he had any paperwork associated with his deposit projection and he showed me a letter form the DPS. The letter from the DPS was received by the tenant in April 2017 about one month before his fixed term expired.

The letter from the DPS states the following:

"We note from our records that the tenancy is due to end, in respect of the below deposit that is registered with the DPS insured Scheme:

(followed by the specific details of the deposit)

If your tenancy is ending, you should speak to your agent/landlord with a view to receiving any part of the deposit due to you directly from them. If your tenancy is continuing, your agent/landlord will need to update the tenancy status.

If your tenancy has become periodic, and your agent/landlord has correctly updated the tenancy status, you will be notified of the continuation of your deposit protection at the tenancy end date provided above."

Where do I stand on this?

26/05/2019 14:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions