Electricity supply in communal areas

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Electricity supply in communal areas
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
pamplemousse
59 Posts
7 Thanks
I have a studio flat which has recently been vacated by a tenant. The letting agent has discovered that the electricity supply for the communal areas including alarms and security lights was and still is routed to the metered supply for my flat.

This has meant that the tenant was effectively paying for electricity for communal areas. Furthermore, the letting agent had a keymeter installed for the tenant. When the supply ran out the electricity supply for the communal areas did so as well. This left the communal areas without security lighting or fire alarms.

Even when the letting agent replenished the keymeter with 30, this ran out in under a week - extremely strange for an empty flat.

The management agency has quoted a cost of 2000 from the electricity company. This would have to be agreed and shared between all flat owners in the block.

I purchased this flat four years ago. It appears that the electricity for communal areas has always been routed to the supply for my flat.

I would like any legal guidance on this matter. If an insurance claim arose, it would not be honoured due to this problem.

Many thanks

23/05/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband