Despite emailed assurance, agent pointing to small print on agreement I signed

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Despite emailed assurance, agent pointing to small print on agreement I signed
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
L
laviniateresa
28 Posts
3 Thanks
A large Ealing Agency found a (very good) tenant for me Feb 2010. Before we renewed the lease, and as the Agent and myself had been informed the tenant was looking to buy a property, I asked for a flexible agreement regarding commission (or shorter lease, 6 months for example) I was told in an email which I have, that they are doing a one year lease, but I would be refunded if the tenant left mid-term.
Tenant leaves June 4th, and Agent now saying, I signed their (long) agreement, so no commission returned unless they are given sole agency to replace him. At this point I may not want this service, especially with a Company I don't feel comfortable doing business with.
Their stance is: tenant should owe me 2 month's commission, and the further 6 month's they will not hand back.
If we were talking about the first year of the tenancy, I would accept the Agent need to make their wedge, but feel as it was only an introductory service, and it is THEIR tenant wanting to leave, not the landlord selling up or something, they should show flexibility . I am sure they are confident if this went to small claims court, that me signing the document is enough to put them in the right. However if true, we go back to the old story about not believing what the salesman is promising when getting your order, as verbal (written) agreements are worthless in this day and age, only what is in the buried small print.
19/05/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband