Letting agent - dissolved and renamed company but they still has 4500 deposits...

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Letting agent - dissolved and renamed company but they still has 4500 deposits...
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
C
Carolyn Sims
6 Posts
0 Thanks
My previous letting agent has held onto approx 4500 of tenant deposits, only three of which belong to my current tenants - the rest for one reason or another should have been passed over to me (eg one or two tenants asked me to keep the deposit rather than pay last month's rent - I have this in writing from two of them), and an unreasonably large number of tenants caused a great deal of damage to my properties before leaving.

I do not believe the deposits (taken 2008/2009) were registered with deposit schemes - my letting agent always told me they were, but they have never shown me any proof, and whenever I have told a student to threaten them with 3x deposit if they don't pay up they have done... Thus, most of my students who have left have had their deposits returned, BUT it's the ones who left without paying which have been retained...

I had a solicitor contact them about various items which they owe me, but they then informed me that the company had ceased trading under it's original name and is now trading under another name...

HOWEVER, although I guess this means other money they owe me may now be unrecoverable, would the tenants deposits sit outside of this as essentially it never was 'their' money? Any ideas how to go forward with this?

Thank you...

05/11/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband