Renewal Fees

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Renewal Fees
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
Pedro
70 Posts
4 Thanks
I have an ongoing dispute with Ludlow and Thompson. They let a flat for me several years ago on a let only basis.
The tenants stayed on for several years and Ludlow and Thompson have been charging 9% of the annual rent each year. I paid the first two under protest and negotiated a discount but refused to pay last year (September 2009). They have had no involvement with the tenants whatsoever since the tenants moved in.
I did sign their terms of business in 2003 for a previous let and it does have a clause outlining the charge.
They have now instructed a solicitor to claim for renewal fee for year commencing 29th August 2009 and 29th August 2010 (even though I have told them that the tenants left). They left this year in August.
I am staggered that they can charge for doing absolutely nothing - they dont even know when the tenancy ended.
According to the contract I should pay for the charges due 29th August 2009 but I am aware of the Foxtons case. Would the Ludlow and Thompson contract be considered unfair?
Please help - they have given a date of 7th November upon which they will commence proceedings without notice.

Thanks,

Peter

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
04/11/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions