HMO inspections... just as problematical as I thought!

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents HMO inspections... just as problematical as I thought!
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
Richie2
8 Posts
0 Thanks

I was one of the first Landlords in my area to pay the huge licence fees for HMO inspections to the local authority; that was some 6 months ago.
I heard nothing at all, until returning from holiday today, my phone went off the hook with tenants complaining that the council had turned up on their doorstep unannounced, inspected the bedrooms, and then proceeded to give a catalogue of faults to the students, many of whom were upset.Phrases like " fire risk and " asbestos" were bandied around, with little or no explanation.The reality is very different, my houses all conform to building regs, and whilst one or two ceilings may contain asbestos, this is inert unless disturbed, and only a chemists analysis can ascertain the presence of harmful materials.

So my reward for cooperating with the council seems to be being treated with no regard for my position as the responsible person, and absolutley no prior notice of inspections.

I am furious with the council for not even having the common decency to let me know in advance of the inspections and have written to complain.

Does anyone know whether the authority have the legal right to enter a house with no notice, no complaint from tenants, and no breach of legislation?

Richie2

22/10/2006 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband