The General Apathy of the Housing Benefit Department - Tenants who lie

You are here : Member Forums Access The General Apathy of the Housing Benefit Department - Tenants who lie
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
Serpentina
17 Posts
0 Thanks
Tenants recently moved out of my property, without notice and I'm unsure about the exact date. However, I do know the exact date they moved into their new property. Housing Benefit tell me that the tenants told them they moved to their new address 5 days earlier than they actually did and, as a result, HB want me to pay 1 week's rent money back. In addition, HB want the full LHA for that week, and haven't taken into account the deductions they made for the tenant's previous arrears.

I wrote to HB and challenged this. I told them the actual date the tenant moved to the new property and gave evidence of this, as provided to me by their new letting agent. HB have now responded and said that, despite the confirmation they received about the actual start date of the new tenancy, they've been unable to contact the claimant, to confirm this, so uphold their decision regarding rent repayment. They have not even addressed the point that they are requesting repayment of an amount which is more than I received.

It appears to me that claiming HB for a time when they didn't even live in the house or have an AST is benefit fraud. That fact alone appears to be of no interest to HB and I am quite shocked that HB staff are not interested. Neither are they interested that they are trying to claim more from me than I was paid.

I appreciate that I will have to challenge this decision also, but wondered if anyone had any advice, or indeed, case law, that might help my cause. Thanks

16/01/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband