Agent ceased to trade - but!

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Agent ceased to trade - but!
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
G
greenhorn
6 Posts
1 Thanks
I let an inherited property for the first time from July 2007 through a local agent. After 3 instances of dishonoured cheques from the agent I received a letter from the agent (and director of the company) that they were ceasing to trade on 3rd January 2008 and that I would hear from a named firm of solicitors in due course regarding the winding up of the company.

They had chased and received January rent payments from the tenant before the end of December and rents collected but not paid over to me amount to approximately 2500.

The deposit of 550 paid by the teneant has also not been returned and does not appear to have been protected under the relevant legislation.

The business is continuing under a new company name from the same premises although the staff insist that they have no involvement with the original director. I have however seen him leaving the premises.

The named solicitors confirm that they have had no contact since January with the original company and the company is still registered as "active" at Companies House. They however do not routinely verify this and state that until they receive formal instruction from the company regarding cessation of trading this will not be updated.

Are there any steps I can economically take to move things forward and what is the position regarding the tenant's deposit collected by my agent.

15/04/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband