Help/Advice Please!

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Help/Advice Please!
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
Amatuer Landlord
61 Posts
3 Thanks
I have recently had a tenant leave a property in a generally very dirty condition - they were only there 6 months but it looked as though they had never cleaned. I spent a 1/2 day cleaning the property and made a 150 claim on their deposit for cleaning. This was paid in good faith to me by the letting agent.

I have just received a letter from my local Council demanding a copy of the invoice I paid for 150 and itemised details of the cleaning required. They were private tenants but have still complained to the Council who now wish to investigate my claim - I was unaware that this was even possible.

The Council letter to me states "It is this Authorities wish to communicate and negotiate directly with local Landlords. The private housing rented sector plays a vital role in the local housing market. We do however have a statutory obligation to enforce housing standards within the borough and will investigate all complaints received."

How should I proceed - I can easily get an invoice for cleaning (even though my wife and I did it) but I am not sure this is the way to go. Should I write back and confirm that we cleaned and made the 150 claim? We did not take any photos or have evidence as the dirt was just general dirt/grime/grease etc etc.

The tenants agreed to leave on the 31st August but, in fact, left 24 hours early and I was unable to complete a 'check out' - my first view of the property was 24 hours after they had left on the agreed moving date.

Any help would be greatly received.

25/08/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband