Police will not take action over theft by tenants

You are here : Member Forums Access Police will not take action over theft by tenants
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
T
Tom39
145 Posts
5 Thanks
Some tenants recently did a proverbial runner, leaving no forwarding address, after running up substantial rent arrears and deposit-deductable costs (for cleaning etc). More seriously they dismantled and removed a queen sized bed and other bulky furniture when leaving. Leaving aside the civil-court matters of rent and deposit, I regard the latter as criminal theft, as there is a clear intention to permanently deprive me of my property. My 1500 overall losses considerably exceed the 700 deposit I took, protected, and retain. I reported the theft to Greater Manchester Police, encouraged by the fact that previous tenants of the same address who had behaved similarly a couple of years ago were raided, arrested and eventually convicted of theft. Indeed GMP initially issued a crime number. Incredibly it has now withdrawn that crime number on the spurious grounds that the removal of furniture was part of the wider picture of our civil dispute. What right has any police force to deprive me or my property of my constitutional protections? Has anyone had similar experiences and - apart from filing a formal complaint and picking my tenants more carefully - has anyone any advice to offer? What right has any police force to deprive me or my property of my constitutional protections?
22/03/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband