Dangerous Boiler Installation by Letting Agents

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Dangerous Boiler Installation by Letting Agents
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
I had my property let by Agents for 3 years. They replaced the boiler in February 2009 (the tenants they put in broke it - but that's another matter). The Agents insisted on using their own installers.

I took back the property in October 2009 and am now letting it directly to a lovely family. I have a contract with British Gas to maintain the boiler etc. Upon inspection, they advised that the boiler had not been correctly installed and placed it at risk.

I contacted the Agents to request immediate remedial action. After much much chasing, their installer visited the property and told me that the remedial work had been completed. I called British Gas back in re another problem with the boiler. The remedial work had not been carried out at all. The boiler was disconnected by British Gas as it was deemed immediately dangerous.

I found a Gas Safe Engineer on the RLA website. He was fantastic and has re-installed the boiler correctly. He confirmed British Gas' findings re the dangerous installation.

I am reporting the installer and the Agency to Gas Safe and the Health & Safety Executive as they are operating dangerously (possibly illegally) and many of their tenants may be at risk due to their dangerous practice.

I am requesting a refund of the installation fee and a refund of the Gas Safety Certificate which the same installer issued (it was clearly not valid - he quality assured his own dangerous installation, ticking boxes re flue tests etc).

I would really appreciate your view on this and any advice re getting my installation fee & Gas Safety Certificate refunded. I would also like to be compensated for the considerable time I have had to put into remedying this situation.

15/01/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband