JOINT AND SEVERAL

You are here : Member Forums Access JOINT AND SEVERAL
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
simon_811
4 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi,

I rented my house to a couple who were in a relationship when they signed up to a six month AST. All went well until the relationship came to an end the first I heard of this was when I was contacted by the tenant to say that she had left the property. There was no notice given and this happened on the very day that the six month AST came to an end. I received nothing in writing and the property keys were not handed over. On trying to contact the remaining tenant, he did not respond to messages left for him to contact me. When the rent was due, we received no payment. Several months later on issuing a section 21, we were advised that the former tenant is still liable for the rent due to “JOINT AND SEVERAL” as the tenancy is still in joint names. Even though the tenant who left was advised by the letting agency who signed them up that they both have to give notice to leave and then a new tenancy agreement should have been signed for the remaining tenant who wanted to remain.
Help!!

20/03/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband