What are the rules about return of bonds & what is normal wear and tear

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents What are the rules about return of bonds & what is normal wear and tear
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
Shale
24 Posts
3 Thanks
Hi - can anyone help with this?
I am a landlord and I have some properties which I rent and then subcontract out as Corporate Lets. This is always with the full permission of the Letting agent and I presume the owner. However one letting agent did not tell the owner and when the owner found out this was happening she went crazy and made the letting agent serve us with a Section 21. We had been renting the house for 2 years to professional people. Its a nice detached house and in good condition and we looked after the property.
Within a week we found our tenants new accomodation. We had the house fully cleaned and the carpets cleaned by professional cleaners. We had the gardens lawned and weeded. We had the locks on the internal doors removed by a joiner and original locks replaced. The house looked immaculate to me and I felt satisfied with its condition.

The Letting Agent manager is not a happy person and she sacked the person who rented us the house originally. She states it is a mess and is demanding the carpets are cleaned again (what use that will do I dont know)! She wants our DP ID number so they can claim the full bond of 850 back and demanding another 500 on top of that.

We have agreed to replace any doors with new doors if replacing the locks have caused damage. We have agreed to have the oven cleaned (for the 2nd time) also. However we think there other demands are unreasonable as we think some of this is normal wear and tear to a 10 year old house which has been rented out many times. We think this is the Letting Agency Manager hell bent on punishing us because we ran a business from a private home. We dont think we did run a business and we were always honest about what we did.

None the less, what constitutes normal wear and tear anyone and is demanding the bond plus more legal? Is there an agency I can use who will make an independent report?

18/08/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband