Can I sue letting agent for not referencing tenant correctly

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Can I sue letting agent for not referencing tenant correctly
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
37 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi, I used a letting agent to find a tenant for my property. In April 2007 they found a tenant who is on benefits. They assured me that all the usual checks/references had been satisfied and that the rent of 290.00 per week would be paid direct into my account from the council (they would set this up)
This is what happened,

1. It turned out that the tenant was a friend of the agents employee who handled the letting. I have a signed letter to this effect from the tenant (ex tenant now)

2. Despite me giving my bank details to the agent to set up payment as specifically set out on our contract, it appears they did not.

3. approx 750.00 in housing benefit was initially paid direct to the tenant who never passed any on to me.

4. I eventually got the council to pay the rent direct to me, however they had only ever agreed to pay 250.00 per week so the tenant was never in a position to pay the full rent and as far as i can see could not have been properly referenced/checked (if at all)

I recently had the tenant leave by way of bailiffs warrant the arrears are in excess of 3000.00. I doubt that there is much chance of getting anything out of her in reality.

Q.1. Do I have case to sue the agency? I cant see that i have recieved any of the services I have paid them for.

Q.2. If this is not feasible, what other options are open to me to get my lost rent back?

Cheers
Pete

07/07/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband