Noise Nuisance

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
SML3000
13 Posts
1 Thanks
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions on how to handle the following situation:

I have two house next to each other. One has a lovely young couple living there who are the ideal tenants thus far. The other has an alcoholic nuisance living there. My good tenants are absolutely furious because my bad tenant keeps them awake all night/every night and has done every day since moving in last December - he gets drunk, turns the upstairs television up very loud (he's a bit deaf in one ear and intoxicated) and then passes out, leaving the TV on all night. I've spoken to the bad tenant about it numerous times, the good tenants are at the point of coming to blows with him seeing as nothing they say sinks in and the letting agent has had stern talks with him too... but nothing seems to make the bad tenant understand. He promises he won't do it again but then the minute he opens his whisky bottle each night the scenario repeats over and over.

My good tenants are on the verge of giving notice (I do not want them to go) because nobody seems able to sort the bad tenant's noise making out. The letting agent keeps telling me that making noise is not technically breaking the tenancy agreement so we can't remove the bad tenant until the end of the six month agreement (mid-June). The local police don't seem interested in noise nuisance cases and the local council noise pollution department are being rather slow responding (I doubt they'll help when they do though).

If this noisy tenant doesn't learn to be quiet very soon (I really don't think anything anyone can say to him will do the trick now) then I will lose my good tenants within the next few weeks... they've made it clear they can't put up with the noise until next week, let alone mid-June. I really don't know how to proceed. The letting agent tells me that the bad tenant is actually looking after the property very well and has paid all of his rent, so the only real problem with him is his noisiness/drunkness... but that's a very big problem if it costs me my good tenants.

Any advice?

Thanking you in advance.

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
25/02/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband