What are my options for removing a violent tenant?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 What are my options for removing a violent tenant?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
N
Natalya
19 Posts
1 Thanks
I will try and keep this as brief as possible. Last night I was called to a property (HMO) because there was a fight going on between two tenants. They are a couple (have joint agreement but rent two rooms) and the male attacked the female (domestic violence). We went to the police station and the male has been arrested, the police are taking this seriously. However the female seems not to want to press charges at this stage.

The female has decided she is moving out today which I understand. I now obviously want to remove the male, we have had words in the past because of his attitude and last night summed it up. What are my options? The female told me last night if I tried to give notice he would make my life hell, refuse to leave and drag this out, all the while not paying rent (he's obviously done his research because she gave me a timescale of when he will most likely leave due to courts, 6-8 months). She said I was better off letting him leave of his own accord (he has lived there 3 years, who knows how much longer he may decide to live there).

Could you tell me what are my rights under this situation, bearing in mind he is violent and has been arrested and the police have photographic evidence of injury (don't know if this will be available to a court). What procedure should I follow to evict him? I have done a quick search on google, and Section 8, ground 14 has come up though I understand this is discretionary. Are there any other options I need to consider? Also what happens now that she has left and he is on a joint tenancy agreement, does this invalidate the agreement in any way?

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks
Nathalie

11/12/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband