Pursuing former tenant for unpaid rent
1. Joint tenants. Tenant 1 wants to be removed from tenancy.
2. Tenants in 1 months arears but agree to pay using a schedule (4 payments in total). Tenant 1 signs scheduled payments agreement.
3. Tenants start to make payments for arrears on agreed schedule.
4.We agree to end tenancy for tenant 1 leaving tenant 2 on tenancy. All parties agree to this. Get tenant 1 to sign document saying they have left tenancy. Get keys back from tenant 1.
5. Tenant 2 explains they are applying for LHA and rent will be late for 2 months (dec & Jan).
6. Serve section 21 notice on tenant 2 - just in case.
7. Tenant 1 stops paying installments for outstanding arrears (1 payment left).
8. Send Tenant 2 documents to give us permission to discuss their case with council. Documents not returned.
9. Tenant 2 ceases communication with us.
10. Reminders sent at appropriate times to tenants.
11.Section 8 currently being issued.
1. Can we pursue tenant 1 for the last remaining scheduled payment?
2. Can this be done through small claims court as they are currently not a tenant?
3. Tenant 2 has a guarantor. Can we pursue the guarantor through the small claims court, or, do we have to go through the possession procedure 1st?
Thanks for your help.
Want to read more?
This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.