Section 21 for 17/9, NTQ ,3 formal reminders of end of tenancy and he's still reluctant to go

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Section 21 for 17/9, NTQ ,3 formal reminders of end of tenancy and he's still reluctant to go
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Maureen_539
1,491 Posts
553 Thanks
Tenant been an indifferent third person in a shared house for 3 long eventful years. Changeovers in 2 other rooms in the shared house during this phase has been high due to his inconsiderate, chaotic lifestle and his hogging of washer, kitchen, lounge,bathroom and of outside space[any spare space] due to junk items or his hoarded clutter piled high in communal areas. He complies with MY every request to remove same when I act on tenants complaints or do x 2 Fire RA's. All junk just goes into his Steptoe's Yard of a room to be redistributed about the house on a later date. He controls house space and frustrates housemates because he can.

Two long suffering tenants gave NTQ June 17 [AST up for renewal 17/9/2008]and I gave notice [NTQ] to ALL on July 17 that I would not be inviting renewal of AST,nor renewing on 17/9/2008 at 11am and also reminded tenants of the Section 21 served when tenancy had begun. On subsequent rent days since; I've followed up with info on neccessary 'tenancy closing' protocols, milestone reminders regarding reading of meters,handling of landlord reference requests plus other domestic matters, to ensure a smooth exit for all 3 tenants at 11am on the 17/Sept. Fingers were crossed too following a very genial house meeting to re-enforce their combined exit arrangements and to sort access times and keys for the builders moving in at noon to start the kitchen renovating.Hint,hint..noisey workmen with crowbars.

Old habits really DO die hard as it appears the problem tenant is only paying lip service to the NTQ situation [ we've been here so many times] and doing nothing to prepare for his own exit, nor willing to participate with the others in countdown activities.

I shall continue on in a most positive way,returning monies paid,arranging to read meters,etc.
I am expecting however that when I arrive on the morning of the 17th ...the problem tenant will be absent and unavailable for comment, possessions still very much in situ and mischievously awaiting the wheels of justice to turn.

In these circumstances;
1] Must I halt the planned major work to the kitchen and exit doors and send builders home if the tenant has not given up possession of his room and the house?

2] What action can be suggested that I take during these next few days as his intention to stay put become even more apparent?

Obviously, it would be tempting to allow the ripping out of kitchen fitments, facilities and exit doors at noon on the 17/9.

01/09/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband