Problem tenants - Houseshare

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Problem tenants - Houseshare
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
J
JackP
89 Posts
3 Thanks
Hi sorry but not received acknowledgement/reply to this mail yet ?

I am renting out a 3 bed house on a shared basis (i.e. 3 separate tenancies, one per room). Two of the rooms are currently occupied by one single person each (both working)and the other room is occupied by a couple on Housing Benefit.

The couple have been very inconsiderate to the other tenants, particularly with regards to use of the washing machine which they seem to be using every day if not more than once a day. This creates 2 problems, one of which is the excessive energy bills which I am paying for as the rent includes all bills. However it is also annoying the other 2 tenants because they never get chance to use the washing machine, even when no washing is taking place, the machine is often still full of washed clothes ready to be dried. So far they have both had to take their washing to relatives.

In addition to this, this couple are leaving the house in an extremely poor state, rolling tobacco and spilling it on the lounge carpet, wearing dirty shoes in the house which stains the carpet, etc.

My worry is that the other two tenants will get so fed up they will leave. I have on several occassions had discussions with this couple to reason with them and restrict washing to once or twice a week but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. I have also toyed with the idea of reducing the rent and excluding the bills but due to the disproportionate use of energy between the tenants means it is problematic to split - this also doesn't solve the problem of the washing machine not being available for the 2 tenants.

Please could you advise of the next best course of action.

02/09/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband