Tenant may not leave

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant may not leave
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
Dino_949
12 Posts
0 Thanks
Dear Sir/Madam

I sent you an e-mail earlier today, but did not receive an acknowledgement, so unsure as to whether you have received it. therefore I send a similar e-mail and would be grateful for your advice.

The contract with my exisiting tenants is due to expire on 1 August. I gave them 2 months' written notice in person with a witness, to leave on 1 June 2008.

They accepted this and on the 22 June the lady informed me by telephone that she would be splitting up with her partner and looking for separate accomodation to stay with her baby. I proceeded to advertise the flat and have found suitable tenants and signed a contract for them to move in on 3 August.

However, neighbours have informed me that the lady tenant may decide to stay with her baby, and has contacted the CAB and Council Housing for advice. I showed the new tenants around and agreed the move in date, whilst her partner was present, and he confirmed to the new tenants that they would be moving out by 1 August. The lady tenant also informed neighbours that she's be moving out.

I approached the lady tenant who has still not got accomodation elsewhere.

1 - Although I gave two months notice, and have witnesses who confirmed that she said she'd be moving, does she have a right to remain?

2 - Her name is on the contract, and money debited from her account every month. But her male partner signed the contract (not her). Does this affect our situation?

3 - How long will the entire process take for getting her out?

4 - She has broken some of the contract terms (e.g. bringing in a dog without our permission. Can we use this to get her out by 1 August?

5 - Can the new tenants sue us if the old tenants have not moved out? If so, can we pass the costs onto the exisitng tenants?

Grateful for your advice.

Regards

Agnelo

16/07/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband