Tenant handing keys back mid-contract, can I change the locks.

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant handing keys back mid-contract, can I change the locks.
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
8 Posts
1 Thanks
My tenant has taken it upon himself to move out of the property 3 months into a 6 month AST agreement without my permission. I only discovered this by a neighbour calling to say they saw him oving everything out. His rent is in arrears, he still has the keys and hasn't provided a forwarding address.

He has now agreed to meet me at the prperty tomorrow to give me the keys back. I have already been advised to issue him with a notice and take a witness with me saying that I acknowledge receipt of the keys but that he is still bound under the terms of the tenancy agreement until a replacement tenant can be found.

However, my question is, if he does give me the keys back, can I go ahead and change the locks to the property to secure it? I don't like the idea that he may of had a spare key cut and could return at any point and cause damage to the property.

Secondly, if tomorrow for whatever reason he doesn't turn up or won't give me the keys back, do I just issue an abandoment notice?

03/10/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband