Tenant on benefits claims council has told her to wait for possesion order?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant on benefits claims council has told her to wait for possesion order?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
37 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a tenant on benefits who has persistantly been in arrears with rent.
The council (Tower Hamlets) originally sent cheques to her (this was dispite my letting agent assuring me that they had arranged for it to be paid direct to me)
Although she claims that she sent the cheques back, the benefits office tell me that they were cashed. I have never recieved any of this money. What should I do?
Eventually I sorted out getting the rent sent to me, but the amount the council would pay is only 250 a week whereas the agreed rent is 290. the tenancy is at an end on April 4th 2008 (it started on April 5th 2007)
I have served the section 21 notice and the tenant has told me that the council have told her that they will not re-house her until I get a possesion order (she has two young children). Does this sound right? and does this mean that they are likely to continue paying the 250 a week whilst she remains in residence?
She has also said that her copy of the Tenacy Agreement states that the last day of the tenancy is April 7th 2008. this may be just an oversight on her part, but could this be a delay tactic?
I have to say that she has been totally untruthful throughout the tenancy and I would not be surprised if she trys anything to stay in the property for as long as she can. at this stage I am just trying to prepare for all eventualities.
I may persue her for rent arrears through The Small Claims Court. I am also considering sueing the letting agent as i am sure they did not carry our the correct checks (she was obviously never able to meet the rent) It has transpired (I have this in writing from the tenant) that the employee of the agents (who is no longer with them) who handled the whole process is actually a family friend.
If you could give me advice on the questions I have asked I would be most grateful
26/02/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband