My tenant owes 3 months rent and has done a runner! What do I do?

You are here : Member Forums Access My tenant owes 3 months rent and has done a runner! What do I do?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
APL
6 Posts
0 Thanks
My tenant fell in to arrears around 6 months ago after hitting 'financial difficulty'. She took on a roommate and began paying back rent (I know that some of these were Housing Benefit payments) but about 6 weeks ago the payments stopped again.

After several failed attempts at getting hold of her I posted a Section 8 Notice stating her arrears of just shy of 2k and a note to say that I would be inspecting the property 24 hours later. I heard movement in the flat and also heard the cat meow when I posted the letter.

Upon going back the next day and knocking on the door, I discovered it had been left open and so entered to discover they'd done a bunk, as well as leaving the place looking as though squatters had been there for the last 3 years.

My situation is - they owe us 2k in rental arrears, and probably another 2k to cover the ruined furniture and refurb it will now need. If they've been claiming more Housing Benefit payments and not passing them on then surely this is even more serious a matter?

Any advice that people may have would be appreciated, as this is the first time I've run into such a situation since taking over management of my portfolio from my letting agent.

16/04/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions