eviction of a previous tenant who continued to live as a sub resident.

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 eviction of a previous tenant who continued to live as a sub resident.
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
I had a joint ASTA starting in March 2011. The couple started to fight and cause damage and the police were called. The woman left but the male partner stayed on. I told him that I would not be renewing his tenancy and did not do so. He brought another family into the house and he was supposed to have left. I told the new family that I did not want them as tenants but allowed them to stay whilst they were looking for somewher else. They were still there after 3 months with a small baby and so I gave in and gave them a tenancy agreement. I told them that I did not want the previous tenant to even visit the property. They were tenants for 12 months and paid the rent regularly and so I gave them a reference when they said that they wanted to leave. They left on the 23rd September 2012. When I went to the property on the 24th September 2012 I found the previous tenant living there with his partner and claiming that he had never left even though I had issued a new tenancy agreement to new tenants on the 18th September 2011. I went to the police but they said that he didnít count as a squatter as he had been a tenant and there was no formal end to the tenancy. I believe that he had been paying rent direct to the tenants in return for allowing him to be a sub tenant.l
I have now issued him with a section 21 eviction notice with a repossession date of the 27th November 2012 and told him that he is responsible for the rent during this period and back rent owing. I have written to him regarding the payment of rent. I have been back to the property to inspect it and found that he had changed the locks.
Where do I stand and what process do I need to follow.

15/11/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband