Halfway to eviction, tenant says he will quit - what should I do?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Halfway to eviction, tenant says he will quit - what should I do?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
N
Newgirl
6 Posts
0 Thanks
I am a first-time landlord; my tenant moved into the property in late September last year and that was the only time he paid his rent on time! He still owes me some of his rent from December (he made a partial payment, very late) and I issued section 8 and 21 notices and initiated court proceedings to evict him when he refused to move out or pay another penny (!). I have just heard from my solicitor that he has phoned them, having just received the notification of court hearing (which hasn't reached me yet!) and said that he is now willing to move out, that he will do so by the end of the week and send me the keys by registered post.

I have not cancelled the court proceedings as the tenant has lied to me a number of times already and I don't trust him. Besides, no mention was made of his rent arrears or my court costs and these are crucial to me. The solicitor says I can go ahead with the court hearing even if he does move out. And besides, I have a guarantor so I am not too worried about this - or should I be?

My main concern is that I thought it was usual for the landlord or a lettings agent to tour the property on moving-out day with the tenant and agree on any damage etc. This is obviously not going to be possible. What should I do? Can me and my husband go alone and rely on photos of any damage or do we need to find a third party to go in to the property with us or before us, to check it???

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

14/04/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband