Tenant moved out and now owes me money due to housing benefit payments stopping

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant moved out and now owes me money due to housing benefit payments stopping
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
N
Neale
7 Posts
0 Thanks
I have recently had a tenant move out of my flat. She was on housing benefit and had told me that we would be paid until the end of the shorthold tenancy agreement, (20th April), even though she moved out a few days earlier. She had apparently contact the housing benefits office to confirm this.
Today I received a 'Benefits decision notice' from the housing benefit office saying that her benefit claim has been cancelled as of 15 April as she is no longer entitled to it.
I have already returned her deposit as I assumed we would have been getting the remaining payments from the housing office. So I am now out of pocket by 5 days rent. I can appeal to the housing office but will this help if she is no longer entitled to housing benefit? Or should I seek to get the money directly from the ex-tenant? and if so whats the best way of doing this. I do have her forwarding address.
Any help appreciated, cheers.
28/04/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband