Tenant in prison with rent arrears

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant in prison with rent arrears
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
5 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a tenant who has been sent to prison mid December 2009 and is awaiting a hearing in March 2010 to find out about his release. His rent was paid fully by housing benefit.
This benefit is currently suspended from 11 november 2009 as they require information from the tenant to assess his claim.
I have spoke with the tenants parents and asked them to get the information from the tenant and provide the information to the housing benefit team.
Nothing seems to be happening though even though i make calls daily to chase up the process.
The tenant was in arrears prior to his sentence and now he owes about 4 months rent.
Am i allowed to serve him a Section 8 notice with him being in prison and seek possession of the property.
What is he correct procedure i need to follow? I am unsure where the tenant stands legally if i evict him.
22/01/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband