Who is liability for potential theft of possessions in a communal hallway?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Who is liability for potential theft of possessions in a communal hallway?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
Simonj
9 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi

I am currently having a new boiler installed in my top floor flat. The main front door (opening into a communal hallway with stairs up to my flat front door) is often left open for workman access and yesterday for example, they needed to run a hosepipe from the outdoor mains up to my kitchen so could not physically shut this door.

My tenant has valuable belongings in the communal hallway (carpentry tools) and keeps insisting that the workmen close the main front door - which at times they are simply unable to do. The tenant's insurance will not cover theft if these belongings are stolen (and front door open) so I have asked them to move them up into the flat ro be on the safe side. They will not do this (say too heavy) and are incinuating now that I am liable if they are stolen.

Please advise - I think they need to take responsibility for this and if they are that concerned, move them!

Thanks for any legal advice.

Victoria

26/02/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband