ASB causing student on separate AST to request early termination of her AST

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 ASB causing student on separate AST to request early termination of her AST
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
dazza
3 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi

I have a 6 bed non-licensable HMO property (only 2 floors) currently let to 5 male students on one AST and a young female student on a separate AST. Several of the male students are engaging in ASB with loud noise and frequent parties (normal student behaviour??). However, a recent birthday party got out of hand and resulted in borderline criminal damage, with light fittings pulled off walls, beds being broken and tossed into the garden, and graffiti over the garage door. They then exacerbated the situation by not clearing up the mounds of broken bottles etc, with the result that the female student returned to the house several days later to be confronted with the mess.

The female has now requested early termination of her contract. I have not granted this as I understood this required the house to have 'serious defects' or be uninhabitable. We have however advertised for a replacement (male) tenant, and made rapid arrangements for repairs to the property at the expense of the male partygoers. We additionally contacted the male students' parents to explain the situation, and I think they will be having an uncomfortable Christmas!!

Whilst I have great sympathy for the female student and will try to replace her ASAP, her room and both bathrooms were left untouched during the party and the boorishness of the boys has never extended to verbal or physical threats etc. I am reluctant to terminate her contract (and thus incur a financial loss for ~6 months) simply because she has rented a room in a house with 5 other males, when she perhaps should have expected a fair degree of noise/parties etc? I feel she has been a little naive in this regard but would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

16/12/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband