Licence or tenancy?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Licence or tenancy?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
2 Posts
0 Thanks
We have property that we let as single bedsits but we do not live there. We advertised a room and a woman phoned that was desperate for somewhere to stay for 11 days. She said that she had exchanged contracts on the purchase of a house but there was a short delay on completion. She moved in on 3rd June and was going to vacate on the 14th. She gave me 200 rent and 400 as a deposit. Nothing was put in writing.

On about 12th I phoned to arrange getting the keys back and returning her deposit and she asked if she could stay until the end of the month as there was still a delay. I agreed and she paid another 200.

Towards the end of June I called to arrange a meeting to give the deposit back and collect keys and she asked if she could stay until 18th July and she paid a further 230.

In the meantime I had been advertising the room but had not let it.

On about 15th July I called her and she asked if she could stay until the end of the month and she would definately be leaving so I let the room from 1st August.

On 29th July I received a phone call from the Council Housing Officer to tell me that the woman had been in to see them and said she had nowhere to go, no money and had given up her job. I said to the Housing Officer that we had let the room to her on a verbal licence but she insisted that it was an assured shorthold tenancy.

On the evening of the 29th I phoned the woman and made arrangements to see her on the 30th and told her that I had let the room and someone else was moving in on the 1st.

On 30th she was not there and has not been there since. There are possessions in the room, her phone rings sometimes but she will not answer. I have sent texts and left her voice mails. What can I do to have her removed?

There is a kitchen in the room, but she shares bathrooms with the other people living there. I pay the Council tax, water gas and electricity bills and for the heating of the whole property.

04/09/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband