why do police say obtaining tenancy by deception not an offence under 1978 theft act?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 why do police say obtaining tenancy by deception not an offence under 1978 theft act?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
98 Posts
0 Thanks
A tenant claimed to be student and filled out rla form with details that turn out to be a lie.

As a consequence council bill me for council tax (rents are on a room basis not house so council hold landlord responsible).

Therefore, I bill him because in contract we agree that if i get billed by council i pass bill on to the tenants without exemption forms.

Of course, as soon as i put invoice through letter box, he treatens me with police (presumably for harrasment) so I go to police so they know there is no harassment and want to press charges for his deception which leads me to a financial loss.

Police say this is a civil matter and I should do better checks.

I said that the government minister was not "done" for employing an illegal immigrant, and some genuine students don't have details to prove before registration so how can the quality of my checks be the issue here.

I failed to see how that is the point - if someone leaves a door unlocked and is burgled it is still a criminal offence.

So, if someone gets a tenancy by deception when they would not have been granted one, why is that not criminal when the theft act says getting accomodation is included?

Does anyone have any experience here or are we, as landlords, not protected from fraud and theft by the law?

23/06/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions