Bad tenant - Bad letting Agent!

You are here : Member Forums Access Bad tenant - Bad letting Agent!
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
I served a section 21 last friday and a Section 8 today - on tenants of mine that are 9 weeks in arrears and repeatedly bad payers. There are several lessons to be learned here and I feel ashamed to say that I have been doing this for 7 years and should know better. You'd hope! That's the thing about this business I am always learning and just recently it seems to be the hard way!

My old letting agent, put my tenants on a years lease which I believe to be a mistake however - when serving the section 21 tenants I thought I could be rid of in september turns out have another 6 months. Bugger!

Sadly, my new letting agent although reputably enough with years in the business advised me that I couldn't serve a section 8 until 14 days after a section 21. I haven't, fortunately ever had to serve a section 8 - so took it as read, which obviously is nonsense. So today I served a section 8 on my tenants. What I am a bit confused about is the address on the section 8. My letting agent changed from my address to theirs. iIt is still an address in the UK but obviously not mine. Does that matter? Secondly, do I have any come back on the years lease that was done in error. Either with the agent that originally made the (costly) mistake or when the matter comes to court, if it does?

Also are there any good courses which cover this kind of thing? Think it\s about time I attended one....

All advice welcome as this will be buzzing around my head all weekend. Oh the joys of being a landlord!!

Thank you.

06/08/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband