Debt Collectors - options

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Debt Collectors - options
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
18 Posts
0 Thanks
I Have a tenant who has stopped paying rent 2 months ago. I managed to contact them 5 weeks ago and was told that they had hit financial difficulty but would start to pay their rent again, yes they did for 1 week and then nothing else since. Calls were made to the tenant along with text messages and 2 visits to the property but with no success, so they were served with a section 21(4)(a) 3 weeks ago. The whole process from serving notice to gaining possession with a bailiff takes around 4 months. I am thinking of informing the tenant that I am appointing a debt collecting company which I hope will get them to leave the property or get some kind of response from them.

Am I allowed to appoint a debt collector and inform the tenant of my intensions or is it perceived as a "heavy handed" approach and will it scupper my chances of getting them out of the property???? I need to know if the tenant can accuse me of harassment and file a complaint against me or if it is a genuine action that can be taken.

It is worth mentioning that both tenants are in full time employment.

I look forward to any response.

29/07/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions

Share this page