Debt Collectors - options

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Debt Collectors - options
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
B
Bigpoe
18 Posts
0 Thanks
I Have a tenant who has stopped paying rent 2 months ago. I managed to contact them 5 weeks ago and was told that they had hit financial difficulty but would start to pay their rent again, yes they did for 1 week and then nothing else since. Calls were made to the tenant along with text messages and 2 visits to the property but with no success, so they were served with a section 21(4)(a) 3 weeks ago. The whole process from serving notice to gaining possession with a bailiff takes around 4 months. I am thinking of informing the tenant that I am appointing a debt collecting company which I hope will get them to leave the property or get some kind of response from them.

Am I allowed to appoint a debt collector and inform the tenant of my intensions or is it perceived as a "heavy handed" approach and will it scupper my chances of getting them out of the property???? I need to know if the tenant can accuse me of harassment and file a complaint against me or if it is a genuine action that can be taken.

It is worth mentioning that both tenants are in full time employment.

I look forward to any response.

29/07/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband