Cowboy Agent gives keys to rogue tenant!

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Cowboy Agent gives keys to rogue tenant!
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
T
tc0081
1 Posts
0 Thanks
Summary :
I engaged an agent to find me a tenant. The agent refused to answer phone calls. I eventually caught them in, to be told tenants had already moved into the property. I received a cheque for the remnant of the first month's rent after fee, referencing and agreement charges. Then learned that the agent's business assets had been sold and the property list given to an unrelated agent. Clearly the agent just gave keys to the first people to accept them.The new agent gave me names and phone numbers of the 2 tenants.Also told me that there was no evidence of reference checks nor tenancy agreements - both of which I had paid for. Phoned tenant A : she fell out with tenant B who had brought in her boyfriend. Tenant A moves out of the property. Tenant B refuses ALL attempts at contact and is owing rent since 1/4/10.
Actions taken so far :-
repeated attempts to contact tenant B by phone and letter - all ignored.
posted sect 21 quit notice on the door, expiring 1/7/10
Questions :-
Do I just wait until tenant B physically abandons the property before chasing her for back rent? I have her employer and parents' addresses.
Can I charge her for 6 months rent regardless of when she leaves?
I am expecting to just find the property empty one day soon with no sign of the keys - what is the status of the (notional) tenancy at this point? What do I do in order to legally re-let it then?
02/06/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions