Subject: Very difficult tenant who is on Housing Benefit refusing to quit

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Subject: Very difficult tenant who is on Housing Benefit refusing to quit
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
Patricia
8 Posts
0 Thanks
I am acting on behalf of my son, who owns two properties (apartments in the same building) - with his signed authority. One of the apartments is occupied by a young lady and her "live-in parter". She has one small child who was born in Feb(?) last year and is expecting another child shortly. She is on Housing Benefit, and the payments from the Council have been very slow in coming through. His rental payments are therefore in arrears.

However, the main point is that the term of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy expired on 11 February 2009, but she is still refusing to quit, in spite of repeatedly being requested to do so.

We employed a Letting Agent to supervise another property he owns, and this agent stated way back in September last year that he could help us in getting vacant possession of the problem apartment. He even suggested that he could go for an Accelerated Possession Order at that time. However, since then, in spite of many verbal reassurances, we have not seen any actual proof that he has done anything at all, and she is still firmly in residence. She appears to have the local Council firmly behind her, as they do not have anything else to offer her. As long as she is living in my sonís apartment she is one less statistic on their books. I have therefore decided to take over the case myself.

I posted a Notice Requiring Repossession on 3 March requiring possession by 1 May (ie, counting off 8 weeks and allowing a few days for delivery), which I sent by Recorded Delivery. On checking the Royal Mail tracking page I see that the recipient is refusing to take delivery of this letter. I am therefore planning to deliver it by hand tomorrow morning in person (with a witness-cum-bodyguard!).

I am at my wits end to know how to shift this nuisance tenant, who has been very difficult and even abusive at times. Surely my son has a right to his property, now that the original tenancy agreement is at an end? What can I do????

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

06/03/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband