tenant threatening to "sever" tenancy due to argument with fellow tenant

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 tenant threatening to "sever" tenancy due to argument with fellow tenant
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
andcob
6 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi, I hope you can help me.

I have a property with two tenants in. They did not know each other prior to moving in, although they are on a joint AST agreement. There are 2 months remaining under the agreement.

About 3 months in to the tenancy one of the tenants (A) started displaying some odd behaviour which was threatening to his fellow tenant (B). They got into several arguments and on at least one occassion, A threatened B with a knife.

One evening the police came looking for A. Tenant A hid, but the Police broke the door down and took him away for questioning.

Tenant A also comes home very late at night drunk and making lots of noise, which affects B's ability to go to work and function correctly.

Tenant B has, until now been a good tenant and always paid his rent. Although I am trying to resolve this amicably, B has now stated that they wish to sever the agreement, and that they will not be paying any further rent. They are citing grounds of lack of Quiet Enjoyment, due to Tenant B being "under my charge".

Are they able to do this?

I would be very gratefulif you could respond to me by email at nhutchings@mac.com.

Kind regards

Andrew Coburn.

02/04/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband