Bad tenant

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
Mike Agate
10 Posts
2 Thanks
After 12 years being in the BTL market and renting out 7 properties I am today faced with a tenant who has not paid rent for the past 6 months. We have been granted a possession order against her and when visited the flat a day after the possession date, we could not enter the flat as she had locked the door (this despite letting her know 24 hours in advance (as per the lease agreement)!

Today we have started the eviction process and fear that she will abscond and we will be left 'high and dry'.

We believe that the sole purpose of her behavious is to get onto the housing list for being evicted!

We also know that she has not paid ANY of the utilities since March 2012 and she has applied for Housing Benefit with a East London borough. She has a well paid job in IT!

I know that I will not be able to recover anything (so much for the country's legal system), but can I report her to the untility company and/or the council for trying to obtain a council house or housing benefit by fraudulently claiming that she is unemployed.

As a campaining association what, if any, plans do you have to find a solution to this (I am sure a very common) problem?

Regards,
Mike

25/02/2013 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband