Squatters rights?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Squatters rights?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
DM
22 Posts
0 Thanks
We have had some issues with a Housing Benefit tenant such as rent arrears, not responding to communications re. necessary repairs, them getting Environmental Health involved. Anyway, last week they texted saying they wanted to move out today to which I agreed - Housing Benefit and Environmental Health were also aware of this.

When I met them at the house after all their belongings had been cleared out they refused to give me the keys unless I gave them money they initially paid as one months' advance rent. I stated that once the final housing benefit payment had been made I would pay them anything that was over (they are still likely to owe me). They refused to give me the keys and said if they weren't getting any money they would trash the place. They also stated they now had a tenancy on another property for which the Housing Benefit had been set up. I left the property but later received a text stating they were taking squatters rights on the property as from now.

I looked into squatters rights and read that if you are able to peacibly take back the property then you can. I returned to the property to find nobody there and no belongings of theirs so I changed the locks. I then went to the local police station to inform them and they said I was within my rights to do this.

Please could you advise on the legal implications of this.

20/07/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband