Peaceable Possession - can you can't you?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Peaceable Possession - can you can't you?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
E
elbowe
2,914 Posts
728 Thanks
I have read in various places on the Internet that once midnight on the date of a court possession order has passed you can take "peaceable possession" on the basis below.

Further investigation has shown that :

1. After date of possession the tenant no longer has rights and is in effect a squatter.
2. If the tenant is not in the property you can go into that property and change the locks - a "peaceable possession".
3. Should the tenant return and damage the property you can call the police and he/she will be arrested for criminal damage.

So, in short, yes I can go with my N325 to the court at 9am on the morning after the possesion date and "try" to get the bailif to speak to me to organise a quick execution of Warrant.

BUT

Surely if I know the tenant is out of the property, I can go and change the locks?

why wouldn't I wish to go down this route? I'm not concerned about the tenant , in fact he should be a little more concerned about me, but I'm playing by the rules. I just appreciate others opinions on here.

many thanks

Les

19/04/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband