Difficult tenant

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Difficult tenant
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
9 Posts
0 Thanks
I have had a tenant for 10 months who has been perfectly ok, paid on time etc. The house was my mother's, rented while she was in a home. She had now died and I wish to sell the house. I told him that I would be selling at the end of his contract,in March, and he has become very difficult.

He began by refusing to let anyone in to value the house and told the estate agent he didn't want anyone in until he left. I'm fairly sure he has changed the locks, I now find that he has been using the house as his business premises and he has stopped paying the rent. Last time I spoke to him about the rent (now a week overdue)he said he'd get round to paying it when he had time - before my mother died it was on a standing order, which he has cancelled.

I have issued a Section 21 notice (unfortunately giving him an extra month since I didn't get it to him on time) and am planning to take out a claim against him and his partner in the small claims court.

Is there anything I can do about him using the house as his business premises, can I claim against the deposit for the ways in which he has broken the contract and is preventing me from starting the process of putting the house on the market.

Last time I spoke to him he put the phone down on me so lines of communication have completely broken down.

Any advice please?

28/02/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband