Tenant done runner - took washing machine, damaged furniture left at house

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant done runner - took washing machine, damaged furniture left at house
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a tenant (supposedly managed by a letting agent) who has been on an AST since December 2010.
she is now more than 2 months behind with the rent and it now turns out that she has done a runner, taken a couple of items with her (washing machine, couple of lamps); some of the furniture has also been damaged and will need to be replaced.
My letting agent has had some communication with the tenant who told him that she had to leave quickly and it was on police advice (due to issues with her ex).
Is there anything I can do about this; is there any point getting in touch with the police about the theft / damage?
It seems that the landlord insurance I was advised to take out by the letting agent doesn't cover either the theft or damage, nor the costs to redecorate the house.
Do I just need to consider this a learning process; should / could my letting agent have protected me from these losses?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

01/08/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions