Ending a lodger agreement when landlord no longer resident at house.

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Ending a lodger agreement when landlord no longer resident at house.
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
andcob
6 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi

I rented out a room in my home some time ago. We entered into a lodgers agreement. I then went on to rent all of the other rooms in the house, apart from my own bedroom.

A year or so later I moved out of the house, retaining my room but never actually residing there, although all of my post was sent there, I was on the electoral register there and I regularly visited to collect my post. All bills for the house are in my name.

I did not change the original lodger agreements, but as new people moved in I granted them ASTs.

An original lodger now intends to move out. They have served notice and have stated that they wish for me to use their deposit to cover their final months rent. I do not want to do this as I need to retain some protection in case there is damage to the room. I am yet to inspect the room.

they have served notice for their tenancy to expire on 20th December, but have only paid rent to 29th November.

I intend to serve notice on them to quit the property on 29th November.

Am I able to do this given that I am no longer residing at the property? I am aware that ordinarily I can serve 7 days notice on a lodger agreement but am conscious that my moving out may have altered the situation.

15/11/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband