tenant unable to remove belongings after eviction

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 tenant unable to remove belongings after eviction
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
L
London member
2 Posts
2 Thanks
After many months arrears I followed the correct legal process and formal eviction took place last week. However, virtually all the tenant's possessions are still in the property. Considerable refurbishment of the whole house is necessary so I have moved tenant's stuff into one room, and in the short term this is manageable.

Tenant professes to be looking for a new place and I now have no contact details - though I have given them (and a neighbour) my phone no./address/email.

Since eviction, tenant has returned to remove some stuff but is extremely vague about making commitments, not always turning up on agreed occasions. I live some way from the property so this is very annoying and I can no longer rely on what they say.

I could simply follow the standard "Torts (Interference with Goods) Act" process - but my main concern is that the tenant does not seem to be fully aware of the situation. eg. was absent when the bailiffs arrived and had not even packed a toothbrush. On several occasions tenant has mentioned moving into a nearby property to let - which I know is not possible without a reference from previous landlord (me).
It is evident that the tenant does not want to abandon the goods left in my property but is clearly incapable of organising their removal. What should I do?

This member has been thanked by 2 members for this post.
22/10/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband