Join the Residential Landlords Association

Advice on eviction

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Advice on eviction
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Kate J
Kate J
9 Posts
0 Thanks
Dear Helpdesk,

I have a tenant on housing benefit who has been in my flat for several years. She was under an assured short term tenancy that has expired, we are now on a rolling contract.

She is no longer paying rent, has ignored my letters and hangs up the phone if and when she answers it.

In March we agreed that the rent would increase as the local housing office was now offering higher rents. I sent her a copy of a new contract to sign and give to the benefits office, with a second copy to sign and return to me. This never happened. She claims that the benefits office wouldn't increase her rent until next year. I asked for proof which she claimed she would send but hasn't. I don't know if she has had an increase in housing benefit as I asked for a copy of the letter, she agreed to send it and never did.

The first rental payment was 1 month after the contract started so she is at least 21 days in arrears, around 35 at the moment.

I haven't served a section 21. Can I give her a notice to terminate contract? What is the best and quickest way to get rid of her?

I want her out of my flat and all arrears paid. I will inform the local housing office of my decision, partly as they are the ones who have been paying for flat, partly as I think she's been cheating me and them out of the additional money.

kind regards


03/09/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions