Tenant defaulting on payment

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant defaulting on payment
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
2 Posts
0 Thanks
Dear Sir /Madam,

Citizens advice suggested I contact you. I am a landlord who employ a letting agency to fully manage my one bed flat.

The agency ran a credit check on a potential tenant which she did not pass as she had bad debt. The tenant insisted that it was a serious case of identity fraud and gave a police reference number for when she reported the crime. The agency advised me to accept the application as she offered 6 months rent up front so I did.

Over Christmas, the agency contacted me and told me that the cheque for 6 months and the deposit had bounced. It had appeared as cleared and there was an official receipt which is why they let her move in. The agency paid for the Month of December and the tenant then said she would write a cheque for 12 months. This has now bounced so is now 2 months in debt.

The agency say she is being uncooperative. I can't afford to pay my rent where I am now and the mortgage of my flat. I know notice and court proceeding could take a very long time. Can I hold the agency in anyway responsible for this and therefore responsible for the monthly payments that will be building up over time?

07/01/2013 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband