Tenant leaving without notice

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Tenant leaving without notice
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
3 Posts
0 Thanks
Dear RLA,
On Xmas Day i found an envelope in my porch area containing keys for a property of mine which has been let for the past 2 years or so. A note with the keys stated there had been a letter sent to me regarding my tenant moving out, however, i know nothing of such letter. I have been in constant contact with my tenant throughout December due to pipes freezing and work being carried out on the property and no mention whatsoever of leaving my property has been discussed or mentioned.

Please could you let me know how i stand legally as no notice has been given to vacate the property. My tenant refers to me keeping her deposit in the note she left with the keys, however it is not a full deposit as she came into financial difficulties earlier this year not being able to come up with the rent so used half her deposit. I did tell her this was not possible however there has been no payment made to add to the deposit. Because of financial problems my tenant split from her partner and went on to claim Housing Benefit. Am i legally allowed to keep the next payment of housing benefit to pay for the next months rent? Would the debt then be passed onto my tenant for her to pay back? I am in debt with these circumstances and will be until i can get another tenant. With the holiday period this might now not be until March.

I have a contact number for my tenants partner and an address of his parents as they did sign a contract with me over 2 years ago being guarantours. Last year my tenant signed a new contract with me, solely in her name though. Can i claim anything from the partner or his parents?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Nicki

26/12/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband