Rent arrears after statutory works carried out

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Rent arrears after statutory works carried out
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Y
Yew Tree Estates
2 Posts
1 Thanks
My tenat informed me of some defects at Christmas.,

Upon inspection I discovered that the bathroom ceiling was sagging due to water ingress from the roof.There was also signs of mould due to the tenants unwillingness to keep the house adequately heated and ventilated.

I informed him that I would undertake the necessary work in the first week of New Year. He then contacted the council who made an inspection which uncovered varous other issues. They ordered that these works be carried out to a certain timeframe to which I complied.

Unfortunately due to the extreme weather I was unable to fix the roof until we had a dry couple of days which I explained to the tenant.The roof was fixed at the earliest opportunity and the bathroom ceiling was replaced and decorated soon after.

I was also informed that the grill on the cooker was faulty and have now installed a replacement cooker.

The tenant is three months in arrears with the rent and is refusing to pay as he says the house was unfit for human habitation.

He is saying that I failed to meet my obligations under the terms of thr AST ( RLA 2010)

I cannot see any specific clause that relates to these kind of defects.

What is my legal position regarding my right to enforce rent payment for this period?

Please advise

23/03/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband