Basic Electrical Awareness
A basic understanding of electrical safety principles.
The day is made up of awareness of three elements:
- Electrical Installation
- Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR)
- Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)
The course is designed to make Landlords and Managing Agents more aware of EICR requirements and how to review a completed EICR. It will also teach you how to maintain the electrical installation and electrical equipment in a safe and compliant manner.
Electrical Installation Awareness
- Distribution Network Operators and Suppliers, Consumer Units [Old and New], Circuit Breakers, Residential Current Devices (RCD), Ring Mains, Radial Circuits, Lighting Circuits, Ventilation, Special Locations containing Bath or Showers
- We will look at common problems/upgrading the property and what the electrician is required to do or not to do under the Wiring Regulations. What a Landlords can do and what they are not allowed to do.
- A detailed insight into the EICR report, including understanding and interpreting the compliance codes and the factors that make an installation safe
- Practical EICR completing
- Practical photo coding exercise with review
- Gain the knowledge to carry out visual electrical checks using the Home Safety Guidance Documents
An overview of the Law, types of electrical equipment, the tests carried out along with a practical demonstration for User Checks, Formal Inspection and the Combined Inspection and Testing.
- You may want to further your training via the full RLA 1 Day PAT Awareness Course
This interactive course is designed to educate landlords and managing agents on the different legislation and regulations surrounding electrical safety, and will give them an in-depth understanding of the steps they must take to verify the electrical safety of their property. Understanding of the below regulations and industry documents will be achieved:
- Electricity at Works Regulations 1989
- British Standard Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2008 Amendment 3: 2015
- IET Guidance Note 3
- ESF Best Practice Guide 4 EICR Classification and Codes for domestic and similar electrical installations We should put reference to Codebreakers in here
- HSE Advice for PA testing in Low Risk Environments
The Building Regulations 2010
- Structure Approved Document A
- Fire Safety Approved Document B
- Site preparation & resistance to contaminates & moisture Approved Document C
- Ventilation Approved Document F
- Conservation of fuel and power Approved Document L
- Access to and use of buildings Approved Document M
- Electrical safety Approved Document P
- The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015
- The Housing Act 2004
- The Housing and planning Act 2016
- Home Safety Guidance
The course is suitable for
- This course is essential for all landlords whether they rent property as single dwellings, HMO or blocks.
- All managing and letting agents
- Block managers
20th March 2019
|10:00 - 16:00||London||Book Now|
10th October 2019
|10:00 - 16:00||Manchester||Book Now|
Continuous Professional Development
Remember that Continuous Professional Development points (CPD) apply to RLA courses. You can also get CPD points for being a member of the Residential Landlords Association.
We are currently planning additional dates for this course. If you would like to be informed when these are arranged, please click here.
Residential Landlords Association Accreditation Scheme
This course is worth 4 basic CPD points with the Residential Landlords Association Accreditation Scheme
RLAAS is a national scheme who aim to encourage, acknowledge and actively promote good standards and management practice by owners and to assist owners and tenants to undertake their respective responsibilities to each other.
RLAAS is open to all landlords who operate in the private sector, and accreditation is FREE. Members of RLAAS also receive a discount when enroling for a course operated by the Residential Landlord's Association.
To find out more, and what RLAAS means to landlords and tenants across the country, visit the RLAAS website.