Start of Tenancy Checklist
For new tenancies that start on or after October 1st 2015, landlords are required to provide a number of additional documents or they will lose their rights to serve Section 21s. In addition to this they face fines of up to £5000 if they do not check that the required smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working at the start of the tenancy.
Landlords now need to provide the following at the outset of a tenancy:
- Gas Safety Certificate
- Energy Performance Certificate
- How to rent: The checklist for renting in England
- Smoke alarms have been fitted on every floor. They have been checked and are in working order at the outset of the tenancy.
- Confirmation that carbon monoxide alarms are fitted in every room with a solid fuel burning source. They have been checked and are in working order at the outset of the tenancy.
- Confirmation that the deposit has been protected if already paid
- Confirmation that the prescribed information for the deposit scheme has been provided
In addition, landlords need to check the right to rent status of any occupiers moving into a property from February 1st 2016. This must be done before the tenancy is signed and records should be kept for all the documents checked. For further details, please see our right to rent guidance.
To assist landlords in remaining compliant with the law and to make it easier to show proof of this compliance, the RLA has provided a downloadable checklist for the landlord and tenant to sign at the start of the tenancy to show all the necessary checks and documents have been provided.
Members and Guests Only
Login to download this document.
Log into your RLA Account
Join the RLA
Get full access to over 130 Documents and Guides
Enter as a Guest
Get reduced access to some Documents and Guides.