DepositGuard compliant Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement - Room Only
When should this tenancy agreement be used?
This is for use where a non resident landlord rents out an individual room to a tenant e.g. in a shared house or a bedsit and where the landlord is using DepositGuard to protect the deposit.If not using DepositGuard please use the RLA standard Room Only Agreement.
The accommodation will be non self contained so that the tenant will share facilities (e.g. a bathroom or kitchen) with other tenants in the same house/building. The tenancy is an assured shorthold tenancy governed by the Housing Act 1988. Any deposit paid must be protected under one of the Government approved tenancy deposit schemes.
You can use the Section 21 procedure to obtain possession. In the event of tenancy arrears or other tenancy breach you will need to serve a section 8 notice (e.g. relying Ground 8 for rent arrears).
What type of tenancy does this create?
The tenancy is an assured shorthold tenancy governed by the Housing Act 1988.
Do I need to protect the deposit?
Any deposit paid must be protected under one of the Government approved tenancy deposit schemes. This includes DepositGuard the RLA's tenancy deposit scheme operated by The Dispute Service (TDS).
How do I end this tenancy?
You can use the Section 21 procedure to obtain possession. In the event of tenancy arrears or other tenancy breach you will need to serve a Section 8 notice (e.g. relying Ground 8 for rent arrears).
Do you use guarantors?
To avoid potentially successful unfair terms challenges, the RLA recommends that a new guarantor form should be provided to the guarantor for their signature prior to every new tenancy. This includes renewing an existing tenancy (or when you expressly agree to extend a tenancy).
For more information on guarantor obligations and cancellation rights please see the explanatory guide attached to the RLA guarantor forms here.
Is this the correct Tenancy Agreement for you? Read the RLA Guide to Tenancy Agreements.
RLA Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement - Room Only
- *NEW* Save the Assured Shorthold Tenancy - Room Only - Enabling you to store the agreement on your computer.
- DepositGuard Compliant - Authorised for use with the TDS deposit scheme if you protect your deposits via DepositGuard.
- Complete On-Screen - Meaning you no longer have to hand-write the agreement out.
- Easy to Understand - The agreement is in plain English, meaning there is no jargon, gobbledygook and other confusing language.
- Constantly Developed - As soon as Housing Law is changed, our agreement is updated by the RLA. Use in confidence that you will not fall foul of legislation.
- FREE Telephone Support - On any aspect of the Tenancy is available to RLA members.
- Completion Instructions - Are available to assist you in completing the tenancy agreement.
Login to view this page.
Log into your RLA Account
Join the RLA
Get full access to over 120 Documents and Guides
No Guest Access
This content is available to RLA Members only, not Guests.